[alsa-devel] soc-cache problem

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Fri Jan 15 11:35:56 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 03:12:13PM +0800, Cliff Cai wrote:

> Nowadays, soc tries to  set up standard I/O functions with same
> addr_bits and data_bits for a codec.
> My problem is some codec might have registers with different data
> length.i.e.ADAU1761,
> Most of its registers are 8 bits long except PLL register,which is a 8
> bytes long one.In order to set/read PLL ,
>  a block of data(8 bytes) needs to be transfer to/from the PLL
> register  at a time.

> So, if soc-cache needs to consider this kind of case, or just keep it
> in local driver?

Just do it in the driver, the main point here is to factor out
boilerplate code so if you need to do non-standard things there's not
really much of a win.  Adding EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL() to the I/O functions
(the _write() ones) to allow them to be called by your driver would be
OK and would allow you to reuse that code.