[alsa-devel] snd_pcm_avail_update returns 0

Singaravelan Nallasellan singaravelann at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 16:17:23 CET 2010

Thanks for the response.

I am using mmap for the playback. What is the return value of
snd_pcm_avail_update when the ring buffer is empty? How does ALSA
identify the  empty buffer?

We incremented the hardware pointer continuously to large value more
than the hw buffer size. ALSA core did not round of the hw_ptr
properly. The firmware in the audio engine is now rounding of hw ptr
in the audio engine itself. It will always report the hw ptr between 0
and hw buffer size.

Moreover our driver uses the batch mode and updates the hardware
pointer for every period. Is it the right way to do?

Sing