[alsa-devel] Problems with snd_pcm_wait(..)

Markus Luttenberger m.luttenberger at avibit.com
Mon Jan 11 12:38:56 CET 2010

Hey,

I tried to implement a callback functionality with ALSA based on the
example given at
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~vose/linux/equalarea.com/alsa-audio.html#interruptex.
Especially the while-loop is basically the same in my program. However,
it doesn't work. I can trace the program to snd_pcm_wait(..) which just
waits endlessly.

The whole thing is called within a thread. The thread is still
accessible from elsewhere in the pogram. It's just the
snd_pcm_wait(..)-function which does not return although a time-out of
1000 ms is given.

If I don't wait for the device I get the following assertion:
pcm.c:1079: snd_pcm_writei: Assertion `size == 0 || buffer' failed.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

greetings..
..Markus