[alsa-devel] ALSA Multichannel through HDMI

John Ettedgui john.ettedgui at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 05:25:03 CET 2010

Hello,

(since I did not get any feedback on the user ml, I'm trying it here, sorry...)

I am using the HDMI output of my radeonhd 4670 to get sound, but I
cannot get ALSA to work with (5.1) multichannel, it only outputs to the
front left and right speakers (checked by speaker-test).

I tried following this howto:
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~bondhugu/alsamch.shtml
but it did not do much for me... and whenever I tried to add
slave.channels 6, I just could not use alsa anymore, it always
complained about this line...
I tried channels 6 as part of the slave.pcm{} too and got the same result...

What should I look into?
I tried with 2.6.32 and alsa-lib 1.0.21.a, and then 2.6.33-rc3 (stil
using alsa-driver 1.0.21 it seems) and alsa-lib 1.0.22 and no success.
I am using the radeonhd xorg driver to get HDMI audio.

I compiled alsa-driver 1.0.22.1 on top of a 2.6.32.2 kernel and the
result is still the same although this time I did not play with the
asound.conf file.

Pulse audio on top of alsa does give me a 5.0 setup or at least I can
hear that from the speaker-test.

Thank you,
John