[alsa-devel] alsactl restore: unknown hardware: ymf724f

Angel Tsankov fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Sat Feb 27 10:53:07 CET 2010

Raymond Yau wrote:
> 2010/2/27 Angel Tsankov <fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg>
>
>> Raymond Yau wrote:

>>> you
>>> are playing audio ?
>>>
>>> alsactl can store the value since the control is active when the subdevice
>>> is open
>>>
>>> alsactl already skip restoring of those control when it is not active , so
>>> the problem seem not related to those controls
>>>
>>> However via82xx also have those hardware specific controls
>>>
>> It seems that when I store the values while the sound card is playing I get
>> one more control in asound.state (see attached archive).
>>
>> Here's the test I did:
>>
>> 1. I removed /etc/asound.state (just in case);
>> 2. I made sure the sound card is not playing, ran 'alsactl store', and
>> renamed /etc/asound.state to /etc/asound.state.not-playing;
>> 3. I started vlc, played some music, ran 'alsactl store' once again, and
>> renamed /etc/asound.state to /etc/asound.state.playing;
>>
>> Then I diff'ed the two files and found out that they are different. I'm
>> sending them as alsactl created them.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Angel Tsankov
>>

> This is the extra control saved when you are playing audio on subdevice 0
>

>     control.48 {
>         comment.access 'read write'
>         comment.type INTEGER
>         comment.count 2
>         comment.range '0 - 32768'
>         iface PCM
>         name 'PCM Playback Volume'
>         value.0 32768
>         value.1 32768
>     }
>
> This look like there is any sound (login/system boot event sound)  playing
> when you perform alsactl restore , the driver will contain more control than
> state file , it will not restore but perform initialization

Here's another test I performed. I created a new /etc/asound.state while
vlc was playing some music.  Then I made sure that control.48 is in the
file and ensured the file won't be overridden at system shutdown.  Then
I restarted the system, verified that the file's time stamp has not been
changed and started Xfce's mixer only to discover that neither PCM, nor
master volume was restored to its saved state. Rather, they looked more
like initialized.

I'd also like to point out that in /etc/asound.state the values for
control.48 are the maximum possible (if I interpret the values right),
but when I stored the levels neither master, nor PCM was set to its
maximum value.

Now, one test more. While playing some music I ran 'alsactl restore' and
  both master and PCM levels were restored to the saved values.

Stil another test. While *not* playing anything I changed the master and
PCM levels and ran 'alactl restore' and guess what... the levels were
restored to their saved values!

Maybe the problem does not have anything to do with whether anything is
being played while the levels are being restored or not and I still
suspect that something might be wrong in my shutdown, or more likely --
boot-up, settings...

Regards,
Angel Tsankov