[alsa-devel] alsactl restore: unknown hardware: ymf724f

Angel Tsankov fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Sat Feb 27 09:09:35 CET 2010

Raymond Yau wrote:
> 2010/2/26 Angel Tsankov <fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg>
>
>> Raymond Yau wrote:

>> "AC97a:83847600"

>> levels

>> 2.6.30.2).

>> restore'
>> printed.
>> and
>> your

>>> did alsactl restore those IFACE_PCM volume since they are supposed at 0dB
>> by
>>> default whenever the subdevice is open ?
>>>
>>> store the values in asound.state seem to be for debugging only
>>>
>>>     control.61 {
>>>         comment.access 'read write inactive'
>>>         comment.type INTEGER
>>>         comment.count 2
>>>         comment.range '0 - 32768'
>>>         iface PCM
>>>         subdevice 1
>>>         name 'PCM Playback Volume'
>>>         value.0 26214
>>>         value.1 26214
>>>     }
>> In fact, alsactl seems to restore the volume levels (despite the
>> "Unknown hardware" message) when the system is up and running, but it
>> does not restore the PCM and master levels at boot time. This should be
>> done when the hardware is detected by udev, as I have the following udev
>> rule:
>>
>> KERNEL=="controlC[0-9]*", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/sbin/alsactl restore
>> %n"
>>

>> Angel Tsankov
>>

> Can you store the iface PCM "PCM Playback Volume" in asound.state while you
> are playing audio ?
>
> alsactl can store the value since the control is active when the subdevice
> is open
>
> alsactl already skip restoring of those control when it is not active , so
> the problem seem not related to those controls
>
> However via82xx also have those hardware specific controls

It seems that when I store the values while the sound card is playing I
get one more control in asound.state (see attached archive).

Here's the test I did:

1. I removed /etc/asound.state (just in case);
2. I made sure the sound card is not playing, ran 'alsactl store', and
renamed /etc/asound.state to /etc/asound.state.not-playing;
3. I started vlc, played some music, ran 'alsactl store' once again, and
renamed /etc/asound.state to /etc/asound.state.playing;

Then I diff'ed the two files and found out that they are different. I'm
sending them as alsactl created them.

Regards,
Angel Tsankov