[alsa-devel] Listing virtual devices for a sound card (aplay -L)

Nitin PAI nitinmpai at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:54:22 CET 2010

Hi,

I have added  proprietary sound cards which are statically compiled in the
kernel. Card 0: Name=X, Card 1: Name=Y.

I want to create virtual devices using these cards, like front,
left,surround,iec958.  I see that this is usually done at
/usr/share/alsa/cards/....

Please let me know how this mapping works?

I mean how does aplay -L  list these devices by mapping the sound card to
the ones in /usr/share/alsa/cards/...
I tried creating X.conf and Y.conf there with front,left,surroud,iec958, but
aplay -L doesnt seem to recognize them.

Also, I want  iec958 card to be one of the cards listed via aplay -L, and
defining this in asound.conf gives error with aplay.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nitin