[alsa-devel] alsa-compile.sh - easy testing of latest ALSA code

Eliot Blennerhassett eblennerhassett at audioscience.com
Tue Feb 23 21:47:35 CET 2010

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> Just one point I noticed quickly is that the standard directory for
>> update modules is either /lib/modules/$VERSION/updates or
>> /lib/modules/$VERSION/extras.  We should follow that.
>
> The script just call 'make install-modules' in the alsa-driver package.
> Anyway, overwriting kernel modules is just a workaround to bypass the
> standard packaging. I don't think that using a special directory helps.

I think it helps:

Building drivers from source I usually configure --with-moddir=updates/alsa

This means
* The newly generated modules do not overwrite the distro supplied ones.
 * I can easily revert to the distro ones by deleting updates/alsa (my
updates directory also has a dkms subdirectory) and rerunning depmod

--
Eliot