[alsa-devel] alsa-compile.sh - easy testing of latest ALSA code

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Feb 23 09:18:53 CET 2010

At Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:37:29 +0100 (CET),
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  	I'm instroducing a new bash script - alsa-compile.sh - to allow
> easy testing of new ALSA code by all users using standard Linux
> desktop distributions. For example to get latest driver snapshot from
> www.alsa-project.org, compile it and insert new kernel modules, just type:
>
>   wget -O alsa-compile.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-compile.sh
>   chmod 755 alsa-compile.sh
>   ./alsa-compile.sh --driver --kmodules
>
> More information are available using --help option.
> More examples are available using --examples option.
>
> Actually, Fedora and openSUSE distributions are supported. Please,
> send patches extending functionality for other distributions to this list
> or directly to me.
>
> Takashi, you might want to add support (option) for your driver tarballs.
> It would be probably a good idea to create a link to latest tarball in
> your web directory.
>
> Please, send ideas, bugs, patches and any other issues to this list.

Just one point I noticed quickly is that the standard directory for
update modules is either /lib/modules/$VERSION/updates or
/lib/modules/$VERSION/extras.  We should follow that.

I find this a good move in general.  But, wouldn't it be better to
cooperate with the existing packaging?  For example, for openSUSE,
there is already the snapshot RPM for each user-space stuff and the
alsa-driver update KMP for all maintained distro versions on OBS.
User can install the up-to-date packages simply via zypper without
compiling.

OTOH, if the purpose is to make easier to install from the source
tree, then we can give a spec or deb file, or a script to set up such
files so that user can kick off the packager to have the
installation-ready test package.

thanks,