[alsa-devel] Verifying mixer dB data/Invalid dB data from USB cards, especially Aureon 5.1 MkII

Lennart Poettering mznyfn at 0pointer.de
Thu Feb 18 03:37:42 CET 2010

On Thu, 18.02.10 09:48, Raymond Yau (superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com) wrote:

> From the viewpoint of user, they only care how easy to find the point which
> is no software gain or software auttentation  since software gain lead to
> clipping

We decided to expose software amplification in the UI, since it is
actually a much requested feature, and I have used myself a couple of
times.

The primary use case is when you play a DVD (which very often has
audio normalized to a very low volume) on weak speakers, such as
laptop speakers.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net