[alsa-devel] What is the required accuracy of audio sampling rate?

Yiliang Bao yiliangb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 18:14:46 CET 2010

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. To reply Pierre's question:

> Can you be more specific on your sync issues? Generally the audio clock is
used as reference, and video adjusts to it.

I played the audio using gstreamer alsasrc and alsasink. The audio plays
well at the beginning, and gradually the sound becomes broken, and
eventually unlistenable. If I play the audio along with video, there is a
similar issue. In addition to the problem in the audio channel, the video
will become intermittent as well after some time. I think the gstreamer is
dropping video frames trying to synchronize the video with audio.

Similar to what is suggested here, I did some experiment on the audio driver
so that its output is synchronized to the kernel clock, and the problems are
gone (at least for the testing period of 2 hours). This confirms that the
issues were indeed caused by inaccuracy in audio sampling rate and it
appears gstreamer is not adaptive enough to accommodate such sampling error.

Thanks,
Yiliang