[alsa-devel] safe support for rewind in ALSA

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 14:19:01 CET 2010

2010/2/10 Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen at eca.cx>

> Hi,
>

> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Raymond Yau wrote:
>

>  why do PA insist to use one period per buffer when only those ISA drivers
>> and intel8x0 have periods_min =1 , the most common HDA driver and most
>> sound
>> cards have periods_min =2 ?
>>

> That is discussed at length here:
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html

most of the motherboard which have ISA bus for the ISA sound card did not
have high resolution timer ( PA glitch free mode require high resolution
timer )

The rest of those sound cards which have period_mins = 1 are regarded as
broken by PA developer  (e.g. intel8x0 ,emu10k1 , ens1371 , ... ) and aplay
did not work with one period per buffer too.

what is the hardware requirement for the driver to support one period per
buffer ?

if none of the those driver can be fixed

 why don't we change the period_min of all those broken drivers from 1 to 2
?