[alsa-devel] [RFC/PATCH v6 03/12] media: Entities, pads and links

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 00:30:26 CET 2010

2010/12/14 Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com>

> Hi Clemens,
>
> On Tuesday 14 December 2010 14:31:55 Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> seems
> > >
> > > SUBDEV comes from the V4L2 world, and I agree that it might not be a
> very
> > > good name.

It is rather confusing since subdevice in ALSA has another specific meaning

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: VT1702 Analog [VT1702 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: VT1702 Analog [VT1702 Analog]
  Subdevices: 3/3
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2

> > > Shouldn't headphones be represented by an EXT_JACK_ANALOG ?
> >
> > Headphone jacks are jacks; there are also USB headphones.
>
> So EXT_SPEAKER are speakers not connected through a jack (USB, internal
> analog, ...) ?

How about internal microphone of those laptop ? ( mic array , ...)

How about those default device in HDA specification ( e.g. CD , AUX,
Telephony , Modem Line , Modem Headset)