[alsa-devel] ice1712 and the delta 1010

David Santamauro david.santamauro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 15:27:13 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:02:04 +0200
Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de> wrote:

> David Santamauro wrote:
> > Since upgrading my audio PC to 64-bit,
>
> Hardware or software upgrade?

Both ... I should say the 32-bit linux test was done on different
hardware. The events were:

a) pc1, fedora 11 32-bit both maudio delta 1010 and 2496 coexist happily
b) pc2 new build to be a 64-bit machine
c) pulled delta 1010 out of pc1, inserted into pc2 -- noise
d) installed win7 64-bit in dual boot configuration on pc2, no noise
with delta 1010

> > the delta 1010 analog inputs emit a constant 'hiss' -36 -30dB.
> > Analog outputs and digital ins and outs are fine. The delta 1010
> > from a hardware perspective is fine as I tested it on the same pc
> > hardware under windows7 64-bit.
>
> In theory, this sounds like a driver bug.
>
> > So far, I have tested it in a 32-bit fedora, 32-bit windows vista
> > and 64-bit windows7 all successfully. This problem arises only in
> > 64-bit fedora.
>
> Does the 32-bit Linux use the same driver version?

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how to check. They are the latest
versions of fedora 11 (32-bit) and fedora 12 (64-bit).
srcversion from a modinfo yields different results.

32-bit fedora 11
Linux beethoven 2.6.29.6-1.rt23.4.fc11.ccrma.i586.rt
srcversion:     F7E1C076BE18C5DFF723A6E

64-bit fedora 12
Linux debussy 2.6.31.12-1.rt21.1.fc12.ccrma.x86_64.rt
srcversion:     0B183929429B4C5102B7D09

> If yes, then it's possible that the 32-bit and 64-bit kernels
> configure the PC differently; for example, there might be noise on
> the power line due to a different kind of power management.

another interesting angle... I thought it might be power or some kind
of internal noise. How could I pursue that further?

David