[alsa-devel] 5.1 surround on 3 jacks (retasking)

Keith Chew keith.chew at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 08:35:35 CEST 2010

> My first approach to that problem would be to try to tweak
> user_pin_configs, assuming that the generic parser (model=auto) is used.
> See sections 4.3 and 4.4 on this document for how to do that:
>
> http://mirror.leaseweb.com/kernel/people/tiwai/docs/HD-Audio.html
>
> That way you won't have to update the kernel code at all.
>
> To figure out the values of user_pin_configs, you'll need to know the
> pin widget NIDs (see your /proc/asound/card*/codec* file for that) and
> pin values (see official Intel HDA documentation, or read hda_proc.c).

Hi David

Thank you very much for your guidance, I have gotten a bit further,
and this is very exciting!

After reading HD-Audio.html, I used the hda-analyzer to configure NIDs
0x14, 0x19 and 0x1b to become outputs, and when I execute:

speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6

I can hear sound on all 3 jacks, but only for Front left/right
channels. In other words, all 3 jacks are being treated as Front. To
confirm this, in alsamixer, the mute on Front (0x14) does mute all 3
jacks.

I guess I am missing the relationship between alsamixer and the codec.
How can I get aplay and speaker-test (with plug:surround51) to map to
Front/Mic2/Line2, now that I have configured them as outputs?

Regards
Keith