[alsa-devel] Building Takashi's sound-2.6.git?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Aug 20 18:09:50 CEST 2010

At Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:05:01 -0700,
Stephen Warren wrote:

> Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > See alsa-driver/INSTALL, "Compilation from Linux kernel tree" section.
> > > In short, run utils/setup-alsa-kernel $YOUR_SOUND_GIT_TREE_APATH
> > > then gitcompile can be used.
> >
> > It's not required. The alsa-driver/Makefile handles both alsa-kmirror and
> > alsa-kernel trees now.
>
> When I check out Takashi's sound-2.6 tree, am I suppose to explicitly
> specify the checkout directory so that it's named alsa-kmirror now instead
> of sound-2.6; the git-compile script doesn't check for the name sound-2.6.
> Should the following be updated to search for more names:
>
> test -z $ALSAKERNELDIR && ALSAKERNELDIR=../alsa-kmirror
>
> ... or is it assumed people will always set ALSAKERNELDIR?
>
> Back to my original question: I did see the documentation regarding
> utils/setup-alsa-kernel that Takashi mentioned. However, I was put off
> trying that because it says:
>
> 	If you have the linux kernel tree containing the corresponding ALSA
> 	kernel codes (the version must match)
>
> and I assumed that meant the version of the kernel source tree that
> setup-alsa-kernel was to be used against must match the kernel version
> actually being run, whereas I wanted to keep my old distro kernel and build
> the ALSA drivers from a much later kernel.
>
> However, that doesn't seem to be the case; I grabbed Takashi's latest
> sound-2.6 and build against Ubuntu Karmic's 2.6.31-22-generic just fine. In
> the text I quoted, does it instead mean that the kernel source tree and
> alsa-driver-build checkouts must match. If so, I can whip up a patch to make
> that a little clearer to me at least!

Well, the term "version" seems confusing indeed.
In this case, it means the ALSA versions between alsa-driver-build tree
and the kernel (sound.git) tree, not about the kernel version.  There
is no synchronization mechanism between them, and alsa-driver patches
fail sometime due to changes in the kernel side.

So, if you'll compile alsa-driver externally from sound git tree, just
use the latest alsa-driver-build git tree, too.