[alsa-devel] need help understanding overrun/underrun

Harsha, Priya priya.harsha at intel.com
Fri Aug 20 11:44:06 CEST 2010

Hi

I had modified the arecord application to call snd_pcm_writei() with the output of snd_pcm_readi(). Basically a loopback.

When we execute, I see the calls return EPIPE (lot of overruns and a few underruns). Can anyone help me understand why there are underrun/overrun being printed? Is it because of the serial call of reads and writes? Is there any issue with the driver I am using? Can you suggest some ways to overcome these messages?

Thanks,
Harsha