[alsa-devel] Information request - writing a driver for a virtual soundcard

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Wed Aug 18 21:33:54 CEST 2010

(please never remove any people from the list of recipients when
 replying, and please do not top-post)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 09:27:36PM +0200, Olof wrote:
> I want to connect my smartphone to my amplifier and then use it as a
> virtual soundcard. The actual sound data shall be transmitted over
> wireless TCP/IP from my laptop to the smartphone, enabling me to move
> around in the flat without wiring.

I still don't understand where the actual audio material has its origin,
or where it should be sent to, respectively.

> Thought a virtual soundcard was a
> good idea since it the whole system then would be independent of
> application playing sound on the laptop. I intended to do the
> compressing & transmission in user space, but perhaps everything can
> be done in user space? I wasn't aware of the possibility. Where can I
> read more?

I think the easiest API to access your existing sound cards and to
create virtual sinks and sources is offered by PulseAudio:

  http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/DeveloperDocumentation

In case your distribution uses PulseAudio natively, you souldn't even
need to set up anything.

HTH,
Daniel