[alsa-devel] Information request - writing a driver for a virtual soundcard

Olof olof at baah.se
Wed Aug 18 19:53:29 CEST 2010

Hi!

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but I kinda feel that I'm out of options.

My goal is to write a dummy driver which makes the PCM data available
as a character device though /dev/whatever. Of course I start with the
dummy pcm driver. However I find it difficult to understand how the
driver shall poll PCM data from the ALSA framework. I've read the
how-to-write-a-driver doc and studied the hda driver but I don't
understand how it all fits together with substreams, reading from
intermediate buffers, the PCM memory management functions etc.

Could someone please help me out with some pointers to additional
documentation, a suitable piece of driver code to study or any thing
that might help?

Kind Regards,
Olof