[alsa-devel] [RFC] ASoC: multi-component: Add optional kcontrol prefix name for a DAI link

Jarkko Nikula jhnikula at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 12:53:28 CEST 2010

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:07:05 +0100
Mark Brown <broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:29:30AM +0300, Jarkko Nikula wrote:
> > This optional kcontrol_prefix allows to specify unique prefix for ALSA
> > control names for each DAI link. This makes possible to have a sound card
> > configuration with multiple DAIs and each of them using the same codec
> > driver without name collision.
>
> This isn't going to work in general - consider what happens for CODECs
> with multiple DAIs, or for devices with no DAIs at all like external
> analogue amps.  We do need to do this but it probably needs to be per
> CODEC rather than per link I fear.

Yeah, true, this is not going to work if there are multiple amplifiers
that are registered for a same link.

Multi-DAI codecs are not so clear to me. I thought codecs are exporting
different controls for different DAIs? Like "foo Playback Volume" and
"bar Playback Volume".

But anyway, I'll try to look some better idea.

--
Jarkko