[alsa-devel] intel 8x0 ALSA driver in virtualbox - choppy sound

Lex F archguest at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 18:38:52 CEST 2010

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I tried to answer your questions below.

On 13 August 2010 17:06, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> We have had many problems with VMware, too :)
> Which sound backend are you using?  Direct ALSA / dmix or PA?

I believe it's direct ALSA, I have choppy output even with
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/*.wav

> Actually, there is no real interrupt, but just the virtual one,
> thus it can be never accurate.  So, rather the question is how the
> driver is tolerant for sloppy IRQ updates.
>
> Usually, when the period size is large and the buffer have many
> periods (not two), the delayed update works more stably.

I am afraid I don't understand this :)

I am compiling a kernel with the following options enabled:
CONFIG_SND_PCM_XRUN_DEBUG, CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS,
CONFIG_SND_DEBUG

Would any of these help to determine the cause and suggest a fix?

Lex