[alsa-devel] intel 8x0 ALSA driver in virtualbox - choppy sound

Lex F archguest at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 13:45:03 CEST 2010

Dear all

I am having problems with getting sound running well in Arch Linux
guest (VirtualBox 3.2.8), the host is OS X Snow Leopard. The problem
is that the sound is very choppy. I've checked around VirtualBox and
Arch forums and it seems that some others experience these problems as
well yet I could not see anyone sufficiently skilled to debug this
paying attention. I think there is a problem with either VirtualBox
implementation of the sound card or a bug in ALSA driver for that card
because I have sound running just fine in VMWare Fusion (using es1371
(?) driver), so the host system definitely is fast enough for decent
sound quality.

I would like to offer my help with identifying the cause of the
problem and testing solutions if the need be.

I've attached my alsa-info output for your reference. Please let me
know if there is anything else I could try to help.

I am very keen to help but I don't know how.

Best regards,

Lex