[alsa-devel] About the platform_name field in snd_soc_dai_link

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Tue Aug 10 16:42:07 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 03:16:09PM +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 14:47 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > This is mostly a holdover from the existing (current mainline) ASoC
> > structuring at the minute, that also has the DMA configured per machine.
> > This may change depending on future hardware requirements, though.

> With multi-component it's possible to register both FIQ and DMA platform
> together. i.e. ssi0 could use DMA and ssi1 FIQ.

Yup, although I think for pretty much all hardware the decision about
which DMA driver to use is going to be fixed by silicon consideratons
(eg, in the i.MX case it'd be odd to want to use the FIQ driver when
{S,}DMA support is available) so it probably does make sense for the
DAIs to be able to provide at least a default DMA controller.