[alsa-devel] Use Case Manager Test Drive [Was: Re: ASoC: Hiding unused CODEC mixer widgets in the machine driver]

Stuart Longland redhatter at gentoo.org
Sun Aug 8 01:07:55 CEST 2010

Hi Mark, Liam...
On 08/06/10 21:42, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 12:34 +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 12:19 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
>>> The machine driver shouldn't be doing this - it's too fragile in the
>>> face of any changes in the drivers and means hard coding use cases into
>>> the kernel which is really bad practice since it's much slower than
>>> doing things from user space and much harder to change as new needs
>>> arise.
>>
>> Please do give UCM (Use Case Manager) a test drive. We are in the late
>> development / early testing phase before upstreaming (still one or two
>> things todo).
>>
>> You will need to checkout the use-case-verb branches of :-
>>
>> git://git.slimlogic.co.uk/alsa-lib.git
>>
>> git://git.slimlogic.co.uk/alsa-utils.git
>>
>> There is a tool called alsaucm that allows changing the use case from
>> the command line. Best to use it's interactive (-i) mode atm.
>>
>> There is also an initial repository for UCM use case configuration files
>> here :-
>>
>> git://git.slimlogic.co.uk/alsa-ucm-conf.git
>>
>> This will show the format required to describe use cases.
>>

> Forgot to add that patches are most welcome.

No worries... I can see there being possible issues with the machine
driver being highly sensitive to changes to the CODEC driver, I was just
curious if there was some mechanism for abstracting this.

However, a userspace solution will probably work well... I'll have a
look and report back any findings.  How close is this to being merged
into the main alsa-lib and alsa-utils trees?

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)      .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.