[alsa-devel] arecord: main:552: audio open error: Invalid argument

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed Aug 4 22:01:18 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 02:55:45PM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:

> I created a log with some printks that kinda show what's going on.  In one
> process I run speaker-test, and then I start arecord in another process.

You might want to provide a little more context on what you're trying to
do here for the benefit of readers...

> In summary, the problem appears to be that asoc calls
> soc_pcm_apply_symmetry() in soc_pcm_open(), but this occurs before
> soc_pcm_hw_params() can set rtd->rate.  So rtd->rate is always zero when
> soc_pcm_apply_symmetry() is called.

> For some reason, this isn't a problem when arecord is started before
> speaker-test.  In that case, rtd->rate is 48000 when speaker-test is started:

The symmetric_rates infrastructure was only ever really intended to work
over a single DAI so I'd not be at all surprised if it gets a little
confused (though I'm surprised it's doing anything at all).