[alsa-devel] Relation between SND_PCM_IOPLUG_HW_PERIODS and SND_PCM_IOPLUG_HW_BUFFER_BYTES ?

Stefan Schoenleitner dev.c0debabe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 13:59:55 CEST 2010

Hi,

what is the relation between SND_PCM_IOPLUG_HW_PERIODS and
SND_PCM_IOPLUG_HW_BUFFER_BYTES ?

While SND_PCM_IOPLUG_HW_BUFFER_BYTES is the setting of the hardware
buffer size, I'm not sure exactly what SND_PCM_IOPLUG_HW_PERIODS is.

I suppose it is the number of periods the hardware buffer can take ?
Hence the SND_PCM_IOPLUG_HW_PERIODS value is actually derived from the
size of the hardware buffer ?

Or is it rather the number of periods the ioplugin can receive at once ?

Please enlighten me,
cheers,
Stefan