[alsa-devel] Playing multiple sounds at the same time

Andreas Falkenhahn andreas at airsoftsoftwair.de
Fri Apr 30 12:38:49 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm new to ALSA programming so please bear with me if the following
question is all too obvious. I did some research on my question before but
I didn't come across a clear answer.

What I want to do is really simple: Playing multiple sounds in different
formats at the same time. E.g.

Sound 1: 12345 hz, 8-bit signed, mono
Sound 2: 44100 hz, 16-bit unsigned, stereo
Sound 3: 8000 hz, 8-bit unsigned, stereo

Now I want to play sounds 1 to 3 at the same time. My question is now: Can
ALSA do automatic mixing for me here or do I have to do the mixing on my
own? In other words, can I simply feed all these three sound streams to
ALSA or do I have to mix them into a fourth audio stream first and feeding
this new fourth stream to ALSA then?

Thanks,

Andreas