[alsa-devel] [patch] Fix headphone automute on Asus G50Vt laptops

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Apr 26 18:21:52 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 05:33:15PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > There's still the problem that the 'speaker' and the 'headphone' playback
> > mixer switch affecting both outputs instead of just the one, and I'm not
> > sure why -- If I toggle the 'OUT' pin on node 0x14 (speaker) and 0x21
> > (headphone) it only affects that particular output.  Same for their mute
> > controls.
>
> That's weird.  So, changing the amp of only one of NIDs 0x02 or 0x03
> influences really on both outputs...?

That's just it -- there's something going on here that I don't
understand -- The mute swiches are defined as:

HDA_CODEC_MUTE("Speaker Playback Switch", 0x14, 0x0, HDA_OUTPUT),
HDA_CODEC_MUTE("Headphone Playback Switch", 0x21, 0x0, HDA_OUTPUT),

If manually toggle these pins using hda-analyzer, only that specifc
output is disabled/enabled.  But if I use alsamixer to toggle these
switches, both outputs are disabled/enabled.  I don't know enough about
the bowels of the ALSA codebase to even theorize why this could be
happening (though I am using the v1.0.22 userspace stuff against a
1.0.23 kernel stack -- or maybe pulseaudio is mucking with something?)

> Another thing you can try is to just use model=auto.
> With the latest version, it should work relatively well.

I've never specified a model=xxxx argument.  Leaving model=xxxx off
should be the same thing as model=auto, right?
(and by latest do you mean git head?)

In any case, the 'take3' patch is such an improvement over the former
state of affairs that in my opinion it should be applied -- we can
always apply another patch once the mute wonkiness is figued out.

Thanks!

 - Solmon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL                          ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^