[alsa-devel] asus xonar d1

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Apr 14 16:02:05 CEST 2010

Lars Schotte wrote:
> > What controls are missing?
>
> hmm. i dont know, i thought there will be more on such a card. because
> on creatives and hd audio usually you have tons of controls and there
> only 5 or so.

The D1/DX hardware doesn't have that many controls because there
aren't so many inputs or outputs.

> and 3 of them is 7.1 output so its a bit confusing.

There is one "Master" control with 8 channels.  How this is displayed
is up to the mixer application.  (alsamixer isn't ideal in this respect,
older versions even less so.)

> to fedora 13 the controls are noticably faster, to my old debian lenny
> even w/ the 2.6.32 kernel they lag. on fedora 13 w/ 2.6.33 they are
> fast as usual, seems like you fixed that already ;-) .

Yes, the driver now doesn't write registers that have not changed.
In theory, this shouldn't make too much of a difference unless the
mixer tries to set the same volume repeatedly.

Regards,
Clemens