[alsa-devel] C-Media CMI8738-LX noise in recording from line in

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Apr 1 11:52:38 CEST 2010

Lars Schotte wrote:
> The soundcard has following chipset - C-Media CMI8738-LX.

This chip was designed before on-board sound devices were common, and
manages to have worse analog sound quality than many of those,
especially on its inputs.

> So I try to record from the line in input, ...
> its too silent and there is a lot of noise in it.

Even if your current mixer settings are suboptimal and can be improved
(please show the output of "amixer contents" or the alsa-info output),
be aware that this card never will have good quality.

Regards,
Clemens