[alsa-devel] WM8731 using I2S on omap3 McBSP2 issues

Rick Bronson rick at efn.org
Thu Sep 24 20:00:52 CEST 2009

Mark,

> This suggests that the DMA isn't happening which usually means that the
> CPU isn't seeing all the clocks it's supposed to.  I'm not familiar
> enough with the OMAP internals to know if you've set the CPU up
> properly.

  I've poured over the relavent code for this and am pretty sure I
don't need to touch it.  The same code works on the beagleboard, at
least the DMA part.  But you never know...

> >   I get no audio output, other than a "click" when the 8731 is
> > initialized upon boot.  When I look at the signals the McBSP2_DX line
> > just goes low for the duration of the "aplay", it does not toggle. The
> > other lines look fine.  The file is at
>
> If you try a record then does the ADCDAT line show a signal?

  I tried this and the ADCDAT does show a signal.  See
http://www.efn.org/~rick/pub/win10586.jpg  The bottom five traces are
as follows:

McBSP2_CLKX -> I2S_CLK -> I2S_BCLK -> BCLK */\
McBSP2_FSX -> I2S_FRM -> LRCLK -> DACLRC and ADCLRC*/\
McBSP2_DR <- I2S_RXD <- ACDDAT */\
McBSP_CLKS <- I2S_MCLK <- CLKOUT */\
McBSP2_DX -> I2S_TXD -> DACDAT */\

  BTW, when I do a aplay, the trace looks the same except ACDDAT is
low.

  I still get a write error though:

beagle:~# arecord -t wav -f cd -d 1500 dar.wav
Recording WAVE 'dar.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
arecord: pcm_read:1348: read error: Input/output error

  Rick