[alsa-devel] snd-hda-intel: no data when recording from mic, "IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #0. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj" logged in kern.log

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Sep 23 08:01:29 CEST 2009

At Wed, 23 Sep 2009 00:46:41 +0200,
Aleksander Adamowski wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I think I have some interesting problems to analyse for Takashi.
>
> Maybe my sound card model is a non typical one, but I have a
> continuous stream of capture-related problems with it.
>
> It's an integrated sound card on my Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H Rev. 1.1 motherboard.
>
> "grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card0/codec#0" shows:
> Codec: Realtek ALC888
>
> I'm attaching the full contents of /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 for
> identification.
>
> But first, some background.
>
> With this particular card, I've been continuously hit by the
> "azx_get_response timeout, switching to single_cmd mode" problem,
> described here:
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/docs/HD-Audio.html#_codec_probing_problem
>
> However, in my case setting probe_mask=1 (experimentally determined)
> didn't make the problem go away, although it seemed to reduce its
> frequency (might be just a coincidence).
>
> Whenever the dreaded "azx_get_response timeout, switching to
> single_cmd mode" message appeared in the kernel log, recording stopped
> working.
>
> The card got into the bad state where it would not record sound, and
> arecord would be giving a stream of "overrun" error messages:
>
> arecord -f cd output.wav
> Recording WAVE 'a.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
> overrun!!! (at least 27.876 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 26.965 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 16.169 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.749 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.298 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.814 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.190 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.190 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.747 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.819 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.149 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.257 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.315 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.651 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.745 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.235 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.169 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.776 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.391 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.669 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.714 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.671 ms long)
> overrun!!! (at least 11.190 ms long)
>
> What's notable, sound playback would continue to work OK.
>
> After being fed up with interrupted Skype conversations (where I
> weren't immediately aware that the other side stopped hearing me,
> since I was hearing them), I've decided to upgrade do kernel 2.6.29
> (citing the http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/docs/HD-Audio.html#_codec_probing_problem
> document: "Since 2.6.29 kernel, the driver has a more robust probing
> method, so this error might happen rarely, though").
>
> After upgrading to 2.6.29 I've removed any extra snd-hda-intel options
> from modprobe config files.
>
> Now the azx_get_response timeout seems to be gone, but I'm
> [...]

First off, try the very latest alsa-driver snapshot.
2.6.29 is already very old, and there have been bunch of fixes and
improvements since then.

Also, load the driver with model=auto option, too.

If both don't help, please attach alsa-info.sh output (run with
--no-upload option) to analyze more.

thanks,