[alsa-devel] S/PDIF on NVidia CK804 not working

Mitko Haralanov voidtrance at comcast.net
Sun Sep 20 20:21:17 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I am new to the list and was hoping that someone here could give me
some help and advise as I am stuck and none of my research has turned
anything up.

I am having trouble getting any sound out of the S/PDIF port on my
built-in sound card. The card is recognized and 'aplay -L' shows the
iec958 device (as evident by the attached alsa-info.txt file) but when
I try to play any sound through it (using aplay) I get one of two
errors:

1. If I use the iec958 device directly:
$ aplay -D iec958 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono aplay: set_params:984: Channels
count non available

2. If I try to use the plug:iec958:
$ aplay -D plug:iec958 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
(the sound file seems to play but there is no audio coming out of the
receiver)

Looking through the ALSA website, I see that my sound device is
supported. Configuring /etc/asound.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf as per
the ALSA website yields the same results as above.

Can anyone please, help me get my S/PDIF working?
Thank you very much!

--
Mitko Haralanov