[alsa-devel] Fwd: Dell Studio 14, internal mic

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Sep 15 12:45:59 CEST 2009

At Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:36:47 -0400,
Alistair Boyle wrote:

> Takashi,
>
> As mentioned below I have a Dell Studio 14, with a two channel mic
> built into the screen, speakers, and two headphone jacks and a mic
> jack on the side.
>
> I've attached an updated alsa-info.sh output for 1.0.21. Things are
> working significantly better now (vs. 1.0.20) but a little messed up
> in the mixer controls. (When the module loads it says its making a
> guess for the chip.)
>
> For the playback settings, "headphone" controls both headphones
> (should only set one of the headphone jacks), "headphone as lineout"
> sets the front-most headphone jack as lineout and disables the speaker
> off feature when something is plugged into the front-most jack (good,
> unless this is supposed to be available/work for both headphone
> jacks?), "headphone 1" does nothing (bad, should be other headphone
> control?),  "front" sets the built-in speaker volume as expected, "pc
> beep" makes a lot of crackling on the speaker when a "ding" is hit on
> a terminal and so is muted (maybe not alsa's fault?)
>
> Plugging in the headphones (with "headphone as lineout" disabled) now
> mutes the "front" speakers as expected.
>
> For the capture settings, "digital" should be the first setting since
> its the master capture control,

You should keep this "Digital" control to 50%, corresponding to 0dB.

> "front mic" controls the stereo
> built-in mic (good), "line" doesn't do anything(?), "mic" sets the mic
> jack (good), there are two capture volumes (capture and capture 1) and
> two "input source"s (line, mic, or front mic). I think there should
> only be mic or front mic unless there's someway to set the mic jack as
> "line in" somewhere else?

This is my question, too.  The original patch mentioned about a
line-in.  I guess a prototype machine had it, but not on real
machines.

> I can now record from the built-in mic ("front mic") vs 1.0.20.
>
> So to summarize:
>  - independent headphones don't have separate headphone volumes
>  - "digital" should be the master capture control
>  - there seems to be duplicate capture controls (capture & capture 1,
> wit corresponding "input sources")
>  - "pc beep" seems to be a bit busted

OK, now I fixed these issues.  There were some left-over bugs indeed.
The driver also supports the automatic mic selection via plugging for
S14 now.

(Note that the multiple capture controls are no bug.  The codec has
 multiple ADCs and the driver provides the multiple streams, too.
 But, together with the auto-mic feature, only one ADC is used now.)

Try the latest alsa-driver snapshot below, and report back.
  ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz

thanks,

Takashi