[alsa-devel] SPDIF issues

Ben donneh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 16:03:46 CEST 2009

All,

I have been happily using a small setup for the purpose of MythTV. I
recently decided to upgrade the graphics so I could enjoy VPDAU which has
been integrated into the 0.22 branch of MythTV. There is just one snag, I
don't have any sound.

I am using an Asus P5E-VM HDMI board, it has onboard sound & graphics. The
HDMI interface outputs to my TV and it works fine.

I then came across an nvidia 9500GT (gainwood) card which has a VGA/DVI/HDMI
out and also takes in sound via SPDIF. I connected the cable to my spdif
headers and I can't seem to get any sound. I'm running Ubuntu Karmic so I
thought I would upgrade the Alsa drivers/lib/utils to the latest, this has
not helped matters. I have checked Alsa mixer and nothing is muted.

I have tried: speaker-test -Dplughw:0,1 - (I think this is correct). I'm
sure it's something pretty trivial I could be doing wrong but someone
mentioned this kind of setup can be quite problematic and suggested I posted
the details to this list.

Details here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ffb9e4b76f37a87f21fec2a4db18295479608d24

I'd appreciate your thoughts!