[alsa-devel] snd_dummy on Centos - Redhat

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:29:54 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Takashi Iwai<tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> If this is true, I think it's rather a bug of Skype.
> But we cannot check it by the obvious reason :)

Cannot agree the more! :-)

> I don't like adding too many module parameters.  There are many
> other adjustable parameters in that struct, I simply added a proc
> interface to show and store the values now.

I'm not sure I've understood. There will be a /proc pseudofile that I
can read and write and that alters the values of period and buffer?

> Try the latest alsa-driver-snapshot tarball.  Note that the proc file
> is enabled only in the debug mode.  With the external build, pass
> --with-debug=full configure option.

When you will release, the /proc file will be also present in the
normal build (eg: no debug build)?

The best for the users would be having a standard (from the official
ALSA distribution, not hacked by me) alsa driver that they can control
around the Skype bug, eg using a config param or (if you like better)
using the /proc interface. In a while there will be a prepackaged
build for CentOS, and all them will be happy and feel safe :-).

Many many thanks,
-giovanni