[alsa-devel] snd_dummy on Centos - Redhat

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 21:05:08 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Takashi Iwai<tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> BTW, I have merged topic/dummy-hrtimer branch into sound git tree now.
> The standard alsa-driver-snapshot tarball below includes the patches,
> too.
>    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz

Takashi,

I've tested your last tarball all day long :-).

Turned out that the Skype client asks for a too much big buffer (or at
least so it appears to me).

Modifying the MAX_BUFFER_SIZE to 1024 and the MAX_PERIOD_SIZE to 512
it runs smoothly and nice.

Would you mind to add those two as configurable parameters? That would
allows for the direct usage of snd-dummy with the various kernels and
Skype client without any source-code modifications, the ideal solution
:-) .

By the way, the memory consumption and the load are waaaaaay lower!!!!
Very very very nice!

-giovanni