[alsa-devel] Problems with safe API and snd-cs46xx

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Sep 7 19:27:02 CEST 2009

At Mon, 7 Sep 2009 18:04:12 +0100,
Sophie Hamilton wrote:

> On 9/7/09, Sophie Hamilton <sophie-alsa at theblob.org> wrote:
> >  I decided to go investigating myself and discovered that the cs46xx
> >  driver has a silly minimum period size declared of 1. Increasing this
> >  to 256 fixes the problem, though I haven't yet tested to see if lower
> >  values will work too. (I'll do this and regenerate the patch later.)
>
> Turns out that a value of 64 is the optimum value.

How did you determine it ? :)

Well, I find also 64 is a sane value, but it's not always logical.
In most cases, 32 is used as the minimum value due to PCI h/w
limitation.  But 32 is very hard to achieve, so it doesn't matter
so much.

> I've regenerated
> the patch, and attached it again. (And since I know now that this list
> doesn't strip attachments, I didn't upload the new one.)
>
> This should be the final patch. How should I go about submitting this?

Please give a proper patch summary, too.
Also, it'd be more helpful if you give an example what actually
your patch fixes (e.g. audacious, etc).

thanks,