[alsa-devel] Problems with safe API and snd-cs46xx

Sophie Hamilton sophie-alsa at theblob.org
Mon Sep 7 17:02:45 CEST 2009

On 9/7/09, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> A small test case, preferably a short C program just to reproduce
>  the problem would be really needed in such a case.  It's very hard to
>  guess what's going on and what is actually wrong in the driver only
>  from your problem description, because of no obvious debug logs.

I can go one better... I have a fix. :)

I decided to go investigating myself and discovered that the cs46xx
driver has a silly minimum period size declared of 1. Increasing this
to 256 fixes the problem, though I haven't yet tested to see if lower
values will work too. (I'll do this and regenerate the patch later.)

The patch, based on the latest stable kernel tree (2.6.30.5), is
attached, though in case the mailing list strips attachments, it's
also available at http://neo.theblob.org/cs46xx-fix.patch .

If I need to submit the patch in some other way when it comes to
actually submitting the final thing, please let me know.

 - Sophie.