[alsa-devel] Problems with safe API and snd-cs46xx

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Sep 7 14:32:39 CEST 2009

At Sat, 5 Sep 2009 13:24:04 +0100,
Sophie Hamilton wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was pointed here by Audacious developers, who believe I've found a
> bug in the snd-cs46xx driver, which I use for my sound card (a Turtle
> Beach Santa Cruz, whose PCI ID is 1013:6003).
>
> Audacious, as of version 2.1, uses the default period time offered by
> ALSA and limits itself to the "safe API" as per Lennart Poettering.

Hm, I don't know of "safe API"...

(snip)
> Most applications that I have seem to work properly with regards to
> audio, although I've heard that this is probably because ALSA's safe
> API isn't very well documented and as such most applications will not
> be using it, thus not exposing the bug in snd-cs46xx.
>
> No information is output to dmesg when this happens, on either the
> Gentoo-patched 2.6.29 kernel, or the vanilla 2.6.30.5 kernel.
>
> If you need any further information, please let me know!

A small test case, preferably a short C program just to reproduce
the problem would be really needed in such a case.  It's very hard to
guess what's going on and what is actually wrong in the driver only
from your problem description, because of no obvious debug logs.

thanks,