[alsa-devel] snd_dummy on Centos - Redhat

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 17:35:43 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Takashi Iwai<tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>> Sep  3 17:20:20 localhost kernel: giovanni line: 291, dpcm->frac_pos /
>> HZ=0, jiffies=91837395
>> Sep  3 17:20:20 localhost kernel: giovanni line: 291, dpcm->frac_pos /
>> HZ=48, jiffies=91837398
>> Sep  3 17:20:20 localhost kernel: giovanni line: 291, dpcm->frac_pos /
>> HZ=48, jiffies=91837398
>> Sep  3 17:20:20 localhost kernel: giovanni line: 291, dpcm->frac_pos /
>> HZ=80, jiffies=91837400
>> Sep  3 17:20:20 localhost kernel: giovanni line: 291, dpcm->frac_pos /
>> HZ=80, jiffies=91837400
>
> So, this is a kernel with the variable HZ.  That's the whole problem.
> My patch also doesn't take it into account but assumes the constant HZ.
> We'll need to convert the stuff to msecs_to_jiffies() and co...

Ah! I was struggling since days on this, you're fast!!!

Also, I saw you made various modifications that I tried to make (in a
messy way), to a custom version of snd-dummy made to support 128
subdevices and use less irq and context switches.
As soon as you looked into the variable HZ problem, I will see if my
modifications still make some sense, and in case I will forward it to
you.

Thanks again for your prompt reaction and for taking care of this,

-giovanni