[alsa-devel] <alsa-dev> RFC for OMAP4 audio driver

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Sep 3 16:06:27 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 08:56:30AM -0500, pl bossart wrote:

> My 2 cents: I find the notion of codec confusing.
> In most products from Wolfson and others, you have a digital/mixing
> part, and a second one for digital/analog conversions. OMAP4 and
> others have a digital part on the application processor, but the
> partition is still the same, only implemented on two chips instead of
> one. It shouldn't really matter software-wise where the digital part
> is done, as long as you can express the connection between these two
> parts. A logical split would avoid having a description of a codec

In this case "codec" is just what ASoC (for historical reasons) calls
any block that isn't a DAI or DMA controller on the CPU.  It doesn't
actually need to be a CODEC.  There are many cases even the ADCs and
DACs are integrated with the CPU which means that package boundaries
aren't always that helpful either.