[alsa-devel] snd_dummy on Centos - Redhat

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:29:51 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Clemens Ladisch<clemens at ladisch.de> wrote:
>> In centos is 1000HZ, in the kernels I compiled is 100HZ
>
> I would have expected these to be the other way around, since higher
> timer frequency should result in more accurate simulated sound card
> interrupts.
>
> Do you have different CONFIG_PREEMPT* settings?
>
> You could try compiling with the original CentOS configuration and
> switching settings until it breaks.

I'd have expected the same.

But it's not a problem between centos kernel and all of ALSA: the
other drivers works well.
Is a specific problem of snd-dummy.

Yes, CONFIG_PREEMPT* are probably different between the various
kernels, and also the compiled kernel is tickless.

But, this is a problem only with snd-dummy.

What I would like, in the interest of users, is snd-dummy to be
modified in a way that makes it working on the regular CentOS-RHEL
kernels, because CentOS-RHEL users will not like at all to change
their beloved kernels (you know... they like stable, boring and
predictable behavior).

If it can be useful, I can give you (or any other developer) ssh
access to a machine running centos.

Or, please let me know what I can do for providing useful informations.

(sorry for top posting)
-giovanni