[alsa-devel] PC Beep or PC Speaker or just Beep? and HDA Beep code...

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Oct 30 13:08:22 CET 2009

At Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:50:10 +0200 (CEST),
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  	I'm changing the behaviour of Beep / PC Beep controls for HDA
> drivers (comments?):
>
> http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kernel.git;a=commitdiff;h=d605dbeed1b102136513e09e95217e8dc19c800d

Well, IMHO, the fundamental problem is that there is no logic to
select the beep device in the input layer.  A few line of code to
drivers/char/keyboard.c would do that.

Regarding your change: I'm afraid that too frequent attach/detach
calls aren't good.  Also, note that there are hardwares that still
beep even when the beep volume is set to zero.  So, you may get a
situation that you can't disable beep tone.

>  	I would like to introduce uniform naming for these controls
> to not confuse users.
>
> HDA driver: Beep, PC Beep
> AC97: PC Speaker, Beep, PC Beep
> etc..
>
>  	I think that the original purpose of PC Speaker is a beep
> generator. Also, many SoC platforms use AC97 codecs, so removing
> abbreviation PC might make sense. It would be probably best to change all
> control names in drivers to 'Beep'. Comments?

Yes, I agree to rename all to Beep.  The word "PC Speaker" has been
always confusing.

thanks,