[alsa-devel] Conexant CX20561 - Microphone problems

Shawn Starr shawn.starr at rogers.com
Thu Oct 29 23:59:40 CET 2009

Hello ALSA developers,

I am having problems with the microphone on the following hardware this is on
a Lenovo W500 laptop.

Card: HDA Intel
Chip: Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)

Here is the problems im noticing:

1) If I use ALSA 'default' with the microphone I get noise interference on
output [high/low/high/low].

If I switch this to use the "ALSA Capture on HDA Intel [CONEXANT Analog] I get
interference except it is the standard 60Hz electrical noise [steady noise]

2) Using the internal/external microphones gives an inconsistent volume. It
also does not seem to work with the microphone cutting out so much. I need to
adjust Digital + another microphone but it still drops capturing.

Alsamixer shows:  Digital/Docking Microphone/External Microphone/Internal

Here is the module options I give to the sound driver:

options snd-intel-hda enable_msi=1 power_save=10 power_save_controller=true
model=laptop index=0

Assuming power saving/controller causes the microphone to cut out or not.

3) I'm now aware that this card has no pinouts for PCM capture

Thanks for any help,