[alsa-devel] aloop / asym (ttable-bindings) Merging audio stream with SIP/Skype - .asoundrc struggle

yvonne barrymore yvonneyb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:38:26 CET 2009

(NOTE: RESENT as received an email the alsa-devel mailinglist had moved.)

OBJECTIVE: merge  (mplayer cli or aplay)  audio stream with SIP/Skype
so that music can be heard during chat.

Really need help from a developer I think as alsa-users mailinglist
not able to help during past 2 weeks.

2 weeks happily studying alsa/plugins, posted/searched on mailing
lists and tried irc as well. Could really use a guru assist. I get the
parts mostly, though obviously not how it all comes together in an
.asoundrc.

 - aloop driver is installed.

After scores of attempts now wondering:  maybe having the music track
playing on it's own soundcard or loopback and having that merge into
the microphone? channel of sip/skype's soundcard.

Like, have the music play out on the intel card 0, and loopback
through aloop card 1, then merge that with asym/dmix onto sip/skype's
headset card 2  ????

I kinda know what the plugs do, though not how to hook-up through .asoundrc.

I've found 3 or 4 great posts on alsa-devel and alsa-users though
ultimately for me just glimmers of working.

Rather than glut up the list here I've only posted my aplay -l
Can anyone comment on exactly what I'd put in my .asoundrc? What the
flow/parts would be even?
To stop stuttering (fighting for card control ? etc.) I guessed that
the music playing on it's own card might be good?

Very happy to post what I've got though thought I should ask first if
anyone has found a best practice for this.

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
 Subdevices: 1/1
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
 Subdevices: 1/1
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
 Subdevices: 1/1
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 1: Loopback [Loopback], device 0: Loopback PCM [Loopback PCM]
 Subdevices: 8/8
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
 Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
 Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
 Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
 Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
 Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
 Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
 Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 1: Loopback [Loopback], device 1: Loopback PCM [Loopback PCM]
 Subdevices: 8/8
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
 Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
 Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
 Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
 Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
 Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
 Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
 Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

card 2: default [C-Media USB Headphone Set  ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
 Subdevices: 1/1
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0