[alsa-devel] How to close ALSA device nodes?

Daniel Yek dyek at real.com
Fri Oct 23 00:55:33 CEST 2009

Could it be that the answer is to use the surrogate parent model?
Book: Pthreads Programming:
http://books.google.com/books?id=2kZDx8H6H18C&pg=PA190&lpg=PA190&dq=Multithreading+surrogate+parent+model&source=bl&ots=nmEnmuPQme&sig=-MvAQEZUJngOdMLJ-HGhAqCv1AU&hl=en&ei=_eDgSqWYLYacsgOB_eHODA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false
<http://books.google.com/books?id=2kZDx8H6H18C&pg=PA190&lpg=PA190&dq=Multithreading+surrogate+parent+model&source=bl&ots=nmEnmuPQme&sig=-MvAQEZUJngOdMLJ-HGhAqCv1AU&hl=en&ei=_eDgSqWYLYacsgOB_eHODA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false>

That is, the multi-threaded app. creates a dummy child process during
its initialization process and use the child solely as a surrogate
parent to fork on behalf of the app. That way, the multi-threaded app.
doesn't have to fork and possibly leaking "states" in the child
(especially, if it is not followed by an exec(), I think.)

I'm interested in hearing from the more experienced devs. regarding this
technique too.

Regards,

--
Daniel Yek.