[alsa-devel] Calling omap_pcm_prepare() results in BUG() on OMAP1

Jarkko Nikula jhnikula at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 09:16:37 CEST 2009

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 05:11:06 +0200
Janusz Krzysztofik <jkrzyszt at tis.icnet.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
> After DMA burst mode has been introduced in sound/soc/omap/omap-pcm.c,
> omap_pcm_prepare() unconditionally calls:
> 	omap_set_dma_src_burst_mode(prtd->dma_ch, OMAP_DMA_DATA_BURST_16);
> 	omap_set_dma_dest_burst_mode(prtd->dma_ch, OMAP_DMA_DATA_BURST_16);
> AFAICS, current implementation of those two functions found in
> arch/arm/plat-ompa/dma.c doesn't support OMAP_DMA_DATA_BURST_16 on OMAP1 at
> all, so they both end with BUG() on that machine. That seems to result in
> ASoC being completely unusable, at least on my OMAP5910 based Amstrad Delta.
Thanks for reporting the issue. Nobody didn't realize when those calls
were added that indeed they will end up to BUG() in
arch/arm/plat-omap/dma.c on OMAP1.

> Is calling BUG() for OMAP1 from those functions intentional?
> If not intentional, can those be corrected by simply putting break; before
> defalut:?
I'd let it on as it is as it will point out immediately invalid
argument for OMAP1 and those functions do not have return value.

> If intentional, can those function calls be conditionally omited, at least for
> OMAP1510, in sound/soc/omap/omap-pcm.c?
Yep, just put cpu_class_is_omap1() test in sound/soc/omap/omap-pcm.c
since we should not try to set unsupported burst size for OMAP1.