[alsa-devel] Exemple of source code for capture without using callback

brunal2496 gmail brunal2496 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:49:28 CEST 2009

Hi all,

it's my first time on this list and my knowledge about using poll()
mutex and thread creation is a bit far away from now, so please, if
this list is the wrong place for such a question, could you point me
in the right direction?

Does anyone can point me a place to find a good exemple of source code
for capturing sound with alsa without using callbacks?

I'm trying to interface a voice recognition software with the alsa
drivers.

I have to get audio from alsa convert it and then send to the
recognition engine.
I've read everywhere that using callback is a bad method to use the
alsa drivers.

As the recognition software is a server, it needs to be synchronized
with my application. And so my main() cannot loop on a endless loop
with the snd_pcm_readi() function inside.

My first idea was to create a new thread and to let this thread
running with a endless loop that do the snd_pcm_readi() and send the
buffer to the recognition software.
But I 've read the existence of smd_pcm_poll_descriptors() function.
For now I not shure was it is for and how to use it properly.

What do you think?

I'm sorry if my question is a real newbie question, but exemple online
are only for playback not capture.

Many thanks for all your answers.

Bruno.