[alsa-devel] [alsa-cvslog] alsa-kernel: Official ALSA project GIT repository for Linux 2.6 branch, master now at v2.6.31-rc8-407-gfc9e4a3

jmal8295 jmal8295 at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Tue Oct 6 20:11:13 CEST 2009

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > noreply-git at alsa-project.org wrote:
> > > commit fc9e4a3811567f8d1d4c263a89e27b52c90d6098
> > > Author:     Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de>
> > > AuthorDate: Tue Oct 6 08:21:04 2009 +0200
> > >
> > >     sound: via82xx: move DXS volume controls to PCM interface
> > >
> > >     The "VIA DXS" controls are actually volume controls that apply to the
> > >     four PCM substreams, so we better indicate this connection by moving the
> > >     controls to the PCM interface.

By "moving" you mean removing them or will there appear somewhere else?

> > Well, this control was once removed, and then revived due to complains
> > by users
>
> one user
>
> > who have used it in mixer.  Moving this to PCM iface does
> > almost the same thing, disabling an easy way to access it.
>
> Any application that looks for per-stream volume controls would find
> them only this way.
>
> Since the assignment of applications to PCM substreams is more or less
> random, depending on how many other substreams are open, it does not
> make much sense to allow the user to access them by their number.
>
> > I'm afraid that this patch might be regarded as another "regression".
> > For such an old driver, the compatibility is the most important item.
>
> Honza, are you still using this driver?

Yes I do (there is a different driver for this codec?). And I _will_ be
regarding it as regression if I lose possibility to change volume of the
four streams independently.
On the other hand, I do change the volume only manually (not
automatically by program), so if only thing which changes is the way how
to modify that volume I would not see problem in that.
	Honza